Mandarin Chicken with Honey Carrots
|Broiler fryer chicken breast halves||4 , boned, skinned|
|Flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cornstarch||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Salt||3⁄4 Teaspoon, divided|
|Pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon, divided|
|Egg white||1 , beaten until foamy|
|Vegetable oil||7 Tablespoon (1/4 Cup Plus 3 Tablespoons)|
|Onion||1 1⁄3 Cup (21.33 tbs), chopped|
|Ginger||1 Teaspoon, grated, divided|
|Carrots||3 Cup (48 tbs), shredded|
|Chicken broth||2 Cup (32 tbs), divided|
|Honey||3 Tablespoon, divided|
|Orange juice concentrate||10 Teaspoon, thawed, divided (2 Tablespoons, Plus 4 Teaspoons)|
|Mandarin orange segments||8|
|Green onion tops||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), chopped|
|Honey roasted cashews||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs), chopped|
|Honey roasted cashews||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
1. With meat mallet pound the chicken to 1/4-inch thickness after placing between wax paper.
2. In shallow dish, mix together flour, cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.
3. In separate bowl, place egg white.
4. Dipping the chicken first in egg white, dredge it in flour mixture to coat.
5. In large nonstick frypan, heat 1/4 cup oil to medium temperature and sautÃ© chicken for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
6. in a saucepan place 3 tablespoons oil and saute onion and 1/2 teaspoon ginger until tender.
7. Stir in carrots, 1 cup chicken broth, 1 1/2 tablespoons honey, 4 teaspoons orange juice concentrate, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and simmer with cover for about 10 minutes.
8. When chicken is brown, drain oil from pan, add remaining chicken broth, orange juice concentrate, honey and ginger and simmer with cover such that chicken is tender.
9. Into the hot carrot mixture stir green onion and 1/3 cup cashews.
10. On a serving platter spread the mixture, arrange the chicken and top with orange sections.
11. Spoon sauce over each piece, sprinkle with remaining cashews and serve hot.
Calories 863 Calories from Fat 452
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 51 g78%
Saturated Fat 9.5 g47.5%
Trans Fat 0.2 g
Cholesterol 110.1 mg36.7%
Sodium 862.6 mg35.9%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.4%
Dietary Fiber 4.9 g19.5%
Sugars 30.8 g
Protein 44 g87.8%
Vitamin A 328.2% Vitamin C 29%
Calcium 7.9% Iron 12.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet