Gobi Manchurian - Cauliflower Manchurian
|Oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|For the marinade|
|Cauliflower||1 Medium, broken into medium sized florets|
|Onions||1 Small, chopped finely (can be added to marinade mixture or into the batter)|
|Ginger paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Garlic paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Green chili paste||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|For the batter|
|All purpose flour||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Corn starch/Rice flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon (Optional)|
|Water||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs) (As required to prepare the batter)|
|For the sauce|
|Soy sauce||3 Tablespoon (2-3)|
|Ginger paste||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Garlic paste||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Sweet and sour sauce||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (An alternate ingredient - Mix of ketchup and hot sauce)|
|Hot sauce||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Sesame seed oil/Peanut butter||1 Teaspoon|
|Corn syrup||1 Tablespoon (or corn starch dissolved in water)|
|For the garnish|
|Green onions||2 Tablespoon, chopped finely|
To marinate the cauliflower:
1. In a bowl with the cauliflower florets, add the finely chopped onions, ginger paste, garlic paste, green chili paste, salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Toss well so that all the florets are well marinated with the spices. Cover the bowl and set aside for at least 20 minutes.
To prepare the batter:
3. Take a bowl, mix all purpose flour, corn starch, baking powder, salt and freshly ground pepper (if using).
4. Gradually add water a little at a time, mixing to form a batter. Stir well to get a lump free smooth batter.
5. Heat oil for frying on a medium heat.
6. Meanwhile, add the well marinated cauliflower florets into the prepared batter and coat each floret well with the batter.
7. When the oil is hot enough, carefully drop in the coated cauliflower florets into the hot oil and deep fry them till golden brown in color. Drain them into a paper towel to remove the excess oil.
To prepare the sauce:
8. In a pan, add soy sauce, ginger-garlic paste, sweet and sour sauce, hot sauce and sesame seed oil. Mix to combine well.
9. Warm the pan on a medium heat and then add the corn syrup and stir well. After a minute take it off the heat.
10. Once you are ready to serve, mix the fried Gopi (cauliflower florets) into the prepared sauce and coat all the florets well.
11. Serve the Gopi Manchurian garnished with finely chopped green onions. This dish is best served with fried rice or plain rice.
Do not mix the fried cauliflower florets and the prepared sauce ahead of time. Combine the two only just before serving the dish. This would help in retaining the crispiness of the cauliflower.
Calories 299 Calories from Fat 65
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11.4%
Saturated Fat 1 g5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 1209.1 mg50.4%
Total Carbohydrates 52 g17.3%
Dietary Fiber 6.8 g27.3%
Sugars 20.5 g
Protein 7 g14.3%
Vitamin A 9.3% Vitamin C 176%
Calcium 15.8% Iron 13.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet