Chocolate and Orange Fudge Squares
|Plain chocolate||8 Ounce, broken (200 Gram)|
|Dark muscovado sugar||8 Ounce (200 Gram)|
|Butter||6 Ounce (175 Gram)|
|Eggs||3 , separated|
|Plain flour||5 Ounce (140 Gram)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Orange zest||1 Teaspoon|
|Soft cheese||200 Gram (I Used Philadelphia Extra Light)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Icing sugar||2 Ounce (50 Gram)|
1) Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
2) Line and butter a tray-bake tin measuring about 23 x 23cm.
3) Melt the butter in a pan and add in the chocolate, sugar. Heat over gentle flame for about 5 minutes. Stirring constantly till the butter and chocolate have melted and blended together. Remove from heat and let it cool for 10 minutes.
4) Whisk in the egg yolks, flour, vanilla and half of the orange zest.
5) Into a clean and large bowl, add in the egg whites and whisk till they stand up in peaks.
6) Add in a quarter of the egg whites into the chocolate mix to reduce the thickness a bit. Then, with a metal spoon carefully fold in the rest of the egg whites.
7) Add in the chocolate mix into the tin and bake for 25 minutes till the fudge evenly rises and feels firm to touch.
8) Remove from the oven and cool in the fudge tin. Once cooled, cut the fudge slab into squares. Also note that the fudge squares can be frozen for up to a month.
9) Whisk the cheese, vanilla, sugar and remaining zest until a smooth batter is formed. Spread the topping the individual chocolate square and serve.
10) Also note, if you are making the vanilla-cheese spread in advance, make sure that you top the fudge square just before serving.