Mint Layer Fudge
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Unsweetened chocolate square||2 Ounce, cut up (2 Squares)|
|Light corn syrup||1 Teaspoon|
|Creme de menthe||4 Teaspoon|
|Sifted powdered sugar||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Chopped walnuts||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
• Line 8x8x2-inch baking pan with foil, extending foil over edges of pan. Grease the foil with butter ; set pan aside.
• Butter the sides of a heavy 2-quart saucepan. In the saucepan combine sugar, milk, chocolate, and corn syrup. Cook over medium-high heat to boiling, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to dissolve sugar. This should take about 5 minutes. Avoid splashing mixture on sides of pan. Carefully clip candy thermometer to side of pan.
• Cook mixture over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, till thermometer registers 234°, soft-ball stage. Mixture should boil at a moderate, steady rate over the entire surface. Reaching soft-ball stage should take 20 to 25 minutes.
• Remove pan from heat. Add the 2 tablespoons butter or margarine and vanilla, but do not stir. Cool, without stirring, to lukewarm (110°). This should take about 55 minutes.
• While the fudge is cooling, prepare the mint mixture. Place the 3 tablespoons butter or margarine and the creme de menthe into a small mixer bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed till fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and beat till smooth. Cover and set aside.
• Remove candy thermometer from saucepan. Beat vigorously with the wooden spoon till fudge becomes very thick and just starts to lose its gloss. This should take about 7 minutes. Quickly turn fudge into prepared pan. Dollop mint mixture over fudge; press mint mixture evenly over fudge. Sprinkle nuts over mint mixture; press in lightly. While fudge is warm, score it into 1-inch squares. When candy is firm, use the foil to lift it out of the pan; cut candy into squares. Store tightly covered.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3802 Calories from Fat 1163
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 133 g204.5%
Saturated Fat 62.9 g314.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 178.2 mg59.4%
Sodium 94.2 mg3.9%
Total Carbohydrates 654 g218.1%
Dietary Fiber 15.2 g60.9%
Sugars 622.4 g
Protein 23 g46.2%
Vitamin A 40.9% Vitamin C
Calcium 31.1% Iron 66.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet