Orange Fruit Cake
|Sifted cake flour||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Pitted dates||6 1⁄2 Ounce, chopped|
|Walnuts||4 1⁄2 Ounce, chopped|
|Butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Buttermilk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Grated orange rind||2|
1. Preheat the oven to slow (300° F.). Grease a ten-inch tube pan.
2. Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir several tablespoons of this mixture into the chopped dates and nuts.
3. Cream the butter until smooth, gradually adding one cup sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Stir the baking soda into the buttermilk and add to the creamed mixture alternately with the flour mixture.
5. Add vanilla, dates, nuts and orange rind and mix well. Pour into pan and bake one hour and twenty minutes.
6. Meanwhile, boil together the orange juice and remaining one cup sugar. When cake is done, pour over the top.