Helen Mccully's White Fruit Cake
|Almonds||1 1⁄2 Pound, blanched and coarsely shredded|
|Candied citron||1⁄2 Pound, chopped|
|Candied pineapple||1⁄4 Pound, chopped|
|Candied cherries||1⁄4 Pound, halved|
|Golden raisins||1⁄2 Pound|
|All purpose flour||4 Cup (64 tbs), sifted|
|Butter||1 1⁄2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Eggs||6 , separated|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Cognac||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Almond extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Cream of tartar||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat the oven to slow (275° F.). Grease one 10-inch tube pan or two 9 by 5 by 3-inch loaf pans. Line with brown paper and grease the paper.
2. Mix together the almonds, fruits and one-half cup of the flour. Set aside.
3. Cream the butter until smooth, adding the sugar gradually. Beat the egg yolks lightly, add them to the creamed mixture and beat well.
4. Combine the milk, cognac and almond extract. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with remaining flour.
5. Beat the egg whites until foamy, then add cream of tartar. Continue beating until stiff. Pour the batter over the fruits and nuts. Mix well. Fold in egg whites.
6. Lift the batter into the prepared pans and press down firmly with the palm. Bake in tube pan three hours and fifteen minutes or in loaf pans two hours and fifteen minutes.
7. Let stand thirty minutes. Turn the cakes upside down onto a wire rack. Peel off paper and store in an airtight container several days.
Calories 521 Calories from Fat 234
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 27 g41.7%
Saturated Fat 8.8 g44.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 83.8 mg27.9%
Sodium 31.4 mg1.3%
Total Carbohydrates 62 g20.6%
Dietary Fiber 4.4 g17.6%
Sugars 35.6 g
Protein 10 g20.8%
Vitamin A 8.4% Vitamin C 0.5%
Calcium 10.1% Iron 13.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet