Homemade Fruit Ketchup
|Tart apples||4 Pound, peeled, cored, sliced (12 nos.)|
|Onions||2 Medium, finely chopped (2")|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cider vinegar||5 Cup (80 tbs) (5% acid strength)|
|Black pepper||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
|Salt||1 Teaspoon (Canning or pickling)|
|Dry mustard||1 Teaspoon|
|Cloves||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Cinnamon||1 Teaspoon, ground|
|Allspice||1⁄4 Teaspoon, ground|
1. In a 4 quart kettle, put together apples, onions and water; cook until apples are tender.
2. Pass mixture through a sieve for food mill.
3. Return mixture to the kettle and cook uncovered at medium heat for 1 hours until sauce is thick and rounds up on spoon and there is no separation of liquid and sauce.
4. Add coloring; if desired.
5. Into 3 hot pint jars, ladle mixture leaving 1/8 inch empty on top of the jar.
6. Using a clean and dry kitchen towel, wipe the rim of jar and adjust lid.
7. Into a canner of boiling water, place the jars and process for about 15 minutes; start noting processing time after water in the canner returns to boiling.
8. Remove jars and place over a clean towel.
9. Let the jars cool down and seal completely until they are self-sealing type.
10. Serve Homemade Fruit Ketchup with children-€™s snacks.