Whole Wheat Fruit Slice
|Fresh yeast||1⁄2 Ounce (15 gram)|
|Milk and water||1⁄4 Pint, mixed (hand hot, 150 milliliter)|
|Whole wheat flour||1⁄2 Pound (225 gram)|
|Butter||1 Ounce (25 gram)|
|Sugar||2 Ounce (50 gram)|
|Walnuts||1 Ounce, chopped (25 gram)|
|Clear honey||1 Tablespoon (for glaze)|
1) Heat the oven to (220°C/425°F or Gas Mark 7).
2) Grease the baking sheet.
3) In a bowl, put the yeast, sugar, milk and water.
4) Add 50 g/2 oz/1/2 cup flour and stir until evenly blended.
5) Leave in a warm place for 10 to 15 minutes until frothy.
6) In another warm bowl, put the remaining flour and the salt and rub in half the butter.
7) Add to the frothy yeast batter and mix well to make soft dough.
8) Cover and leave the dough to rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk.
9) On a floured surface, knead the dough then roll into a rectangle about 1 cm/ 1/2 inch thick.
10) Brush the dough with the remaining butter.
11) Mix together the dates, sugar and walnuts and spread over the dough, leaving a 1 cm/1/2 inch margin around the edge.
12) Roll the dough like a Swiss (jelly) roll, moisten the edges with water and seal together.
13) On the greased baking dish, place the roll with the join underneath and make shallow diagonal cuts on the top.
14) Leave to rise for 20 to 30 minutes,.
15) In the preheated hot oven, bake the dough for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
16) Transfer to a wire rack, brush with honey, then let it cool.
17) Wrap the loaf in foil and pack in a freezer bag.
18) Seal the bag, label and freeze.
19) Thaw the loaf at room temperature for 3-4 hours.
20) Cut it into slices and serve.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 1489 Calories from Fat 397
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 46 g71.1%
Saturated Fat 17.2 g86%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 63.4 mg21.1%
Sodium 1051.2 mg43.8%
Total Carbohydrates 249 g82.9%
Dietary Fiber 30.7 g123%
Sugars 79.3 g
Protein 41 g81.9%
Vitamin A 14.9% Vitamin C 2.8%
Calcium 26.4% Iron 56.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet