Fruit And Nut Plait
|Basic shortcrust pastry dough||1 (made with 1/2 pound flour)|
|Canned apricot halves||1⁄2 Ounce, drained, chopped (1 can)|
|Dessert apple||1 , peeled, cored, chopped|
|Chopped nuts||2 Ounce|
|Egg||1 , beaten (for glaze)|
1) Preheat the oven to 400°F.
2) Roll out the pastry dough on a floured surface. From the rolled out pastry sheet cut out a rectangle of dimensions 12X10 inches.
3) Mark the dough into 3 longitudnal sections.
4) Apply a little water around the edges.
5) Make diagonal slits along the outer sections of the dough about 1-inch apart and 3 inches deep.
6) In a bowl, add the apricots, chopped apple, sultanas and nuts. Stir well.
7) Spread the nuts mixture over the middle of the dough. Fold over the outer sections like a plait or braid. Seal the edges together. Bake for about 40 minutes.
8) You may freeze the dough before baking, by placing it in the freezer to become firm.
9) Pack the pastry in a freezer bag. Seal, label and place it back in the freezer.
10) Serve the Fruit and Nut Plait warm of the oven. Serve with fresh fruits and cream.
11) To thaw the frozen plait, take off its wrappings and place on a baking tray.
12) Brush its top with a beaten egg. Bake for 40 minutes or till it is heated through and turns a light golden brown.