Rum and Fruit Torte
|Cream cheese||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs), whipped|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|8 inch sponge cake||1 (Ready Made)|
|Light rum||3 Tablespoon|
|Canned peach halves||1 Pound, drained and patted dry (1 Can, 14 Ounce)|
|Canned pear halves||1 Pound, drained and patted dry (1 Can, 1 Ounce)|
|Canned mandarin orange sections||3 1⁄4 Ounce, drained and patted dry (1 Can)|
|Fruit preserves||1 Tablespoon|
|Frozen blueberries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), thawed|
|Apple jelly||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Almonds||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), toasted and chopped|
1. In a medium sized bowl, combine cream cheese and sugar. Mix well till smooth. Keep aside.
2. Place strips on wax paper on edges of a serving platter and place sponge cake on top. This is to avoid the plate from getting messy.
3. Drizzle rum evenly on sponge cake and moisten it.
4. Evenly spread the prepared cream cheese mixture on the cake.
5. Place peach halves at centre and around the centre of the cake. Ensure that the round side is placed upwards.
6. Between every two peach halves, place pear halves.
7. Place orange segments uniformly between pears and peaches.
8. Top peach half at centre with preserves, followed by blueberries and a strawberry / cherry.
9. In a small sauce pan, place jelly and melt over low flame.
10. Using a pastry brush, gently apply melted jelly around the sides of the cake and the fruits.
11. Around the sides of the cake, place chopped nuts by pressing them gently on to the surface.
12. Carefully discard wax paper and refrigerate till service. Alternatively, freeze for 10 minutes.
13. Using a pastry spade or a sharp knife, cut into wedges and serve immediately.