Party Fruit Kuchen
|Canned apricot halves||17 Ounce (1 Can)|
|9 inch sponge cake layer/Yellow cake layer||1 (Baker'S)|
|Canned pear halves||6 Large, drained (16 Ounce Size)|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (1/2 Stick)|
|Packed light brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Walnuts/Pecans||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped|
|Whipped cream/Whipped dessert topping in an aerosol can||1 Tablespoon|
1. Drain apricots, reserving liquid.
2. On serving plate place cake layer and prick surface with fork.
3. Spoon 1/4 cup reserved apricot liquid over cake.
4. Make pattern of fruit over top of cake, alternating 1 pear half with 2 apricot halves in circle on cake.
5. In center, place pear half, reserve remaining fruit for another use and decorate with cherries.
6. In a small saucepan, melt butter, remove from heat and stir in the light-brown sugar.
7. Spread side of cake with 1/2 cup butter mixture also filling in spaces between fruit around edge.
8. Press nuts on side and edge.
9. Mix the remaining butter mixture with 2 tablespoons reserved liquid from apricots and heat with frequent stirring.
10. Pour the mixture evenly over cake and serve with whipped cream.