Candied Citrus Peel
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Light corn syrup||1 Tablespoon|
|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs) (adjust quantity as needed)|
|Semisweet chocolate chips||1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Vegetable shortening||2 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
1) Peel the oranges and then cut each peel into ¼-inch wide and 3-inch long strips.
2) Combine together the orange peel and just enough water to cover in a large saucepan.
3) Place the saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil.
4) Drain the boiled peel and repeat the boiling process 2 more times.
5) Combine together 2 cups of sugar, 1 cup water and corns syrup in a heavy medium saucepan.
6) Cook the mixture over moderate-low heat, stirring constantly, till the sugar has dissolved.
7) With the help of a pastry brush dipped in hot water, wash down any sugar crystals from the pan-€™s sides.
8) To the pan, attach a candy thermometer. Ensure that the thermometer does not touch the pan-€™s bottom.
9) Increase the heat under the pan to moderate and bring to a boil.
10) Without stirring, cook the mixture in the pan till the syrup hot a sift-ball stage (about 234 o 240 degrees).
11) In ice water, test about ½ teaspoon of the syrup. The syrup will easily form a ball in ice water but when held in the hand, it will immediately flatten.
12) Add the fruit peel to the syrup.
13) Allow the peel to simmer over moderate-low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring often.
14) Drain the peel and, if preferred, reserve the syrup for future use. It makes a good flavored sweetener.
15) On a wire rack, place the peel with a waxed paper underneath. Allow to dry for about 15 minutes.
16) Roll the dried peel in sugar to coat well.
17) On the wire rack, place the pieces of the candied peel and dry overnight.
18) The next day, melt the chocolate chips and shortening in a small heavy saucepan placed over low heat.
19) Dip once end of each of the candied peels into the melted chocolate.
20) Place on a baking sheet that has been lined with waxed paper and chill till the chocolate has hardened.
21) Serve at room temperature. Makes a good dessert. To store, simply place in an airtight container and store in a cool place.