Smoked Turkey With Stewed Fruits
|Apple/Cherry tree twigs/ hickory chips||3|
|Prunes||2 Cup (32 tbs), pitted|
|Dried apricots||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Mixed dried fruit||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Such As Apples, Pears, And The Like)|
|Applejack brandy||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Lemon||1 , thinly sliced|
|Gingersnap cookies||3 , crumbled|
1. Allow chips or twigs to soak in water for half an hour. Drain and keep aside.
2. Follow manufacturer instructions to prepare smoker.
3. Fill 3/4th of charcoal pan and heat till coals ashen. Add twigs or hickory chips. Add hot water to fill 2/3rd of water pan.
4. Discard visible fat from the turkey. Keep aside the neck and giblets for some other use.
5. Arrange turkey on smoker’s top to smoke, covered for 6 to 8 hours.
6. Check for doneness. The thigh joints should move easily and when pierces, clear juices should flow out.
7. Take a saucepan, place fruits and top with brand. Add water sufficient to cover the fruits and keep aside for half an hour.
8. Place on medium heat after adding lemon slices and sugar and simmer, stirring intermittently, for half an hour for fruits to turn tender.
9. Transfer to a container, allow to cool, cover and keep in the refrigerator till served.
10. Meanwhile take the smoked turkey out and allow to stand at room temperature before being carved.
11. Serve cold or warm with cold fruits.
Calories 501 Calories from Fat 177
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 20 g30.1%
Saturated Fat 5.2 g26.2%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 163.3 mg54.4%
Sodium 193.3 mg8.1%
Total Carbohydrates 26 g8.7%
Dietary Fiber 2.8 g11.2%
Sugars 17.8 g
Protein 49 g97.3%
Vitamin A 7.1% Vitamin C 4.8%
Calcium 4.9% Iron 20.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet