Strawberry Jalousie with Strawberries Romanoff
|For custard filling|
|Double cream||85 Milliliter|
|Free range egg yolks||2|
|Caster sugar||25 Gram|
|For pastry and filling|
|Puff pastry||250 Gram (Ready Made)|
|Free range eggs||1 , beaten|
|Strawberries||250 Gram, hulled|
|Caster sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|Strawberries||400 Gram, hulled|
|Orange||1 (Use Zest And Juice)|
|Whipping cream||200 Milliliter|
|Caster sugar||50 Gram|
|Liqueur||100 Milliliter (Chartreuse)|
1) Preheat the oven to 220C/180C fan/gas .
2) In a saucepan, combine the cream and milk and bring to simmer over a medium heat.
3) In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar . Then whisk in the hot milk and cream into the eggs. Return to the pan and cook over a low heat, stir continuously, until slightly thick. Remove from the heat and keep the custard filling aside to cool.
4) For the jalousie, halve the puff pastry on a lightly floured work surface. Then roll out each half to a 15 x 30cm rectangle. Place one on a baking sheet, gently prick with a fork all over and brush with 1/2 the beaten egg.
5) Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, . Remove from the oven, cool it slightly.
6) Increase the oven temperature to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Spread the custard over the partially baked pastry, then brush the rim with a little beaten egg. Place the strawberries, pointed ends up, in the custard until neatly covered.
7) With a sharp knife, cut 6 slats across the width of the uncooked pastry, like French shutters. Gently place the pastry over the strawberries, gently press the edges to seal.
8) Brush rest of the beaten egg, sprinkle with sugar and place in the oven. Bake for 8 minutes, then lower the heat to 200C/180C fan/gas and bake for a further 10-15 minutes until the pastry is puffed up and golden brown . Keep aside to cool.
9) In a bowl, place the berries with the orange zest. In another bowl, whip the cream, sugar and orange juice until it forms soft peaks.
10) In a saucepan add the liqueur and heat over a high heat. Flame the liqueur and pour over the strawberries and orange zest. Combine the orange cream over the Chartreuse-soaked strawberries and stir.
11) Serve at once with the strawberry jalousie on the side.
Calories 607 Calories from Fat 338
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 38 g57.8%
Saturated Fat 10.9 g54.5%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 110.7 mg36.9%
Sodium 124.1 mg5.2%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.2%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.7%
Sugars 34.8 g
Protein 6 g12.9%
Vitamin A 3.2% Vitamin C 126.1%
Calcium 7.4% Iron 9.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet