|Unsifted all purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Unsalted butter||6 Tablespoon (3/4 Stick)|
|Eggs||6 , separated|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Lemon||1⁄2 , rind grated|
|Cherries/1 can of 16 ounces sweet, pitted cherries, well drained||1 Pound, stemmed and pitted|
1. Preheat the oven to moderate (375°). Grease and flour a 15 x 10 x 1-inch jelly-roll pan.
2. Sift together the flour and baking powder onto a piece of wax paper. Set aside.
3. Melt the butter in a small saucepan.
4. Beat the egg yolks, sugar, lemon rind and vanilla in a large bowl with an electric mixer until the yolks are light and cream colored, for 4 to 5 minutes. Mix in the melted butter.
5. Beat the egg whites with the salt in a large bowl with an electric mixer with clean beaters until stiff peaks form.
6. Carefully fold the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Stir in one-third of the beaten whites. Fold in the remaining whites; do not overmix. Spread the batter evenly in the prepared pan; the batter should be about 1/2 inch thick. Drop the cherries onto the batter, distributing them evenly.
7. Bake the square in the preheated moderate oven (375°) for 15 minutes or until golden brown and the top springs back when lightly touched with your fingertip. Cool the pan on a wire rack. Cut into 12 equal squares.