Dumplings In A Sweet and Sour Yogurt Sauce with Tamarind Sauce
|Urad dhaal powder||8 Ounce (250 Gram)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground ginger||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander||1 Teaspoon, chopped|
|Green chili||1 Small, finely chopped|
|Water||3⁄4 Pint (450 Milliliter)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Frying)|
|Natural yogurt||16 Fluid Ounce (475 Milliliter)|
|Coriander sprig||1 (For Garnish)|
|Tamarind paste||1 Tablespoon|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Water||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
1. Place the urad dhaal powder in a mixing bowl with the baking powder, ginger, fresh coriander and green chilli. Add 300 ml (1/2 pint) of the measured water and mix to make a thick batter.
2. Heat the oil in a karahi or large saucepan, add the batter about 1 teaspoon at a time and deep-fry the dumplings until golden brown.
3. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the yogurt with the remaining water, sugar and salt and whisk with a fork. Drop the dumplings into the yogurt and stir to coat them all over.
5. To make the tamarind sauce, put the tamarind paste, ginger, sugar, salt and measured water in a bowl and stir to make a thick sauce. Taste the sauce and if it is too sour or thick, add more sugar or water. Pour the sauce over the dahi vadas and serve garnished with fresh coriander.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 5214 Calories from Fat 4209
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 476 g732.7%
Saturated Fat 70.3 g351.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 61.5 mg20.5%
Sodium 3615.8 mg150.7%
Total Carbohydrates 172 g57.2%
Dietary Fiber 39.8 g159.1%
Sugars 32.1 g
Protein 70 g139.6%
Vitamin A 83.7% Vitamin C 28.2%
Calcium 211.3% Iron 35.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet