Tomato Tamarind Chutney
|Ripe tomatoes||1 Kilogram|
|Garlic||15 Clove (75 gm), minced|
|Ginger||1 1⁄2 Inch, minced|
|Oil||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Or Little More)|
|Lemon sized ball of tamarind||1|
|Mustard powder||2 Tablespoon|
|Chilly powder||4 Tablespoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Broil and powder:|
|Fenugreek seeds||1 Teaspoon|
1. Wash, wipe dry and chop the tomatoes. Clean the tamarind removing the pips and seeds, and make into a ball.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil, and add the tomatoes and turmeric powder. Mix. Place the tamarind ball in the middle of the tomatoes and cook all together on a very low flame, stirring occasionally.
3. When the tomatoes are done, remove from fire and allow to cool thoroughly. To this add the garlic and ginger along with the salt and grind to a paste.
4. Heat the oil in a kadai, add the mustard and chilly powders, and saute for a minute. Add the ground paste and stir on very low heat until the chutney is done, at which time the oil will surface.
5. Add the fenugreek-asafoetida powder, mix thoroughly, remove from fire, cool and bottle.