Roast Goose With Fruit Stuffing
|Frozen young goose||1|
|Mixed dried fruits||8 Ounce (1 Package)|
|Orange juice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|White bread slice||10 , toasted and diced|
|Ground ginger||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground nutmeg||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground cloves||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Apricot brandy||4 Fluid Ounce|
|Giblet gravy||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Thaw goose 2 or 3 days in refrigerator. Remove giblets; also re move any large pieces of fat from inside goose.
2. Dice the fruits; combine with orange juice in small bowl; let stand about 30 minutes.
3. Combine bread, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves in large bowl; pour the fruit mixture over; toss until evenly moistened (mixture will seem somewhat dry).
4. Stuff about 1 cup fruit dressing in neck cavity; fold skin over and hold in place with wing tips or skewers.
5. Stuff remaining dressing into body cavity. Close vent with skewers or sew with needle and thread.
6. Place goose on rack in shallow pan; prick with 2-tine fork in fatty areas around legs and wings. Do not cover; do not add water.
7. Roast in slow oven (325°) 1 hour; remove the accumulated fat from pan. Drain fat twice more, roasting goose 3 hours in all. Then brush goose with apricot brandy; roast 30 minutes longer, brushing with apricot brandy every 10 minutes. Remove to heated platter. To serve, carve breast into thin slices and separate the drumsticks and thighs at joints. Garnish the platter with chicory and red grapes, if you wish.