Orange Creme Caramel
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp water
2 cups milk
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tbsp grated orange rind
1 tsp vanilla
1. In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water. Place over low heat. Allow sugar to melt, then allow to boil without stirring until the sugar caramelizes and is amber brown. Watch carefully to prevent burning.
2. Pour immediately into a souffle dish. Turn dish around to coat the bottom and sides evenly with caramel.
3. Scald milk in a saucepan.
4. In a bowl, whisk together eggs, egg yolks, sugar, orange rind and vanilla. Whisk in scalded milk.
5. Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
6. Pour custard into prepared souffle dish, cover with foil and set into larger baking dish. Pour boiling water into larger dish to halfway up sides of souffle dish. Bake in oven for 40 to 50 minutes, or until just set. Let cool completely.
7. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until serving time.
8. Turn out of dish onto a serving plate with deep sides just before serving.