Fruit Fold Ups
|Unbleached all-purpose flour||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Approximately)|
|Margarine||2 Tablespoon, well chilled|
|Low fat cottage cheese||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Dark raisins||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Coarsely chopped walnuts||3 Tablespoon|
|Ground cinnamon||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Strawberry jam||3 Tablespoon|
1. In a medium-size bowl stir together 1 cup of the flour and the sugar. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the margarine until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in the cottage cheese, then gather the dough into a ball and knead it a few times in the bowl. Loosely cover the bowl of dough and refrigerate 1 hour.
2. Combine the raisins and walnuts on a cutting board and chop them finely; transfer to a small bowl and stir in the cinnamon and vanilla extract.
3. Preheat the oven to 325°
4. Line a large baking sheet with foil; set aside.
5. Lightly flour a work surface and rolling pin. Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces, roll out each piece into a 5 x 12-inch rectangle and place one rectangle with a long side toward you. Brush the bottom half with half of the jam, sprinkle it with half of the raisin mixture and fold the top half of the dough over to cover the filling. Cut the folded strip crosswise into eight 1 1/2-inch-wide cookies.
6. Place the cookies 2 inches apart on the baking sheet and make 8 more cookies in the same fashion. Bake 30 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown, then transfer them to racks to cool.