|Sugar||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs) (Adjust Quantity As Needed)|
|Vanilla bean piece/1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract||1 Inch|
|Apricot preserves||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Rum||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Peel and core the pears, cutting each into lengthwise halves.
2. In a saucepan combine the sugar, one and one-half cups water and vanilla. Bring to a boil, stirring. Add two or three pear halves at a time and cook gently until tender. Repeat the process until all the pears have been cooked.
3. Cook the syrup until it has been reduced to about one cup. Add the apricot preserves and bring to a boil, stirring. Add the cornstarch, blended with two tablespoons cold water, and cook until thickened and clear. If the sauce is not thick enough to coat the pears, thicken with additional cornstarch blended with a little water.
4. Pour the sauce over the pears and keep hot in a chafing dish or oven.
5. When ready to serve, heat the rum, pour over the pears and ignite at the table.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 2449 Calories from Fat 13
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2 g2.4%
Saturated Fat 0.07 g0.33%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 14.6 mg0.6%
Total Carbohydrates 565 g188.2%
Dietary Fiber 35 g139.9%
Sugars 424.4 g
Protein 4 g8.3%
Vitamin A 38.8% Vitamin C 244.1%
Calcium 11.9% Iron 11.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet