|Sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Lemon extract||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Chopped walnuts/Pecans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Combine the sugar, molasses and water in a saucepan. Heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture is boiling. Boil without stirring about 3 minutes or until the mixture forms a soft ball when a little is dropped into a cup of cold water, 238° F.
2. Beat the egg whites with the salt until stiff; slowly pour the hot syrup in a thin stream over the eggs, beating constantly.
3. Add the flavoring and beat until the mixture is a proper consistency to spread.
4. Fold in the chopped nuts.
5. Spread over cake with back of spoon or broad knife, leaving a rough surface. Frosting or icing for 2 8-inch square cakes, or 24 cupcakes.