Crunchy little balls of oozing Cheese and meaty, salty nuggets of BACON!
2 Cup (32 tbs), shredded (preferably smoked)
8 , crisped and crushed
Italian bread crumbs
1 Cup (16 tbs)
Parmigiano reggiano cheese
1 , beaten
Panko bread crumbs
1 Cup (16 tbs) (for frying)
For egg wash
2 , beaten
1. In a mixing bowl combine the mozzarella cheese and bread crumbs.
2. Grate in the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
3. Crack in an egg and add the crumbled bacon bits.
4. Roll a spoonful or so of your mixture into a ball.
5. Dip your ball into your egg-wash and roll into your panko.
6. Chill all your prepared fritters in the fridge for at least 30 min.
7. Fry in batches (the oil should be at 360 or so--a fry thermometer helps).
8. Retrieve your Fritters when they've reached a deep, golden brown.
9. Serve right away.
Remember not to overcrowd the oil while frying the fritters and to leave at least 2 inches or so on top in your heavy bottomed pan.
If you'd like a flavored oil, plunge a stalk of fresh Rosemary into your Oil first for a few minutes.
Great "frying oils" are ones with high smoke points= Safflower, Peanut, Canola, Veggie, etc. Remember that Extra Virgin Olive Oil should never be used for frying.