Arepas de Venezuela
|Cornmeal||1 Cup (16 tbs) (finely ground)|
|Monterey jack cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Corn kernals||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Green onion||2 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Cilantro||1 Tablespoon, chopped|
|Jalapeno||1 Small, seeded, chopped|
|Corn oil||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for frying)|
1. In a bowl, combine the cornmeal, cheese and salt. Stir to mix well.
2. In a small saucepan, heat the milk until steam starts to rise. Then add butter and let that melt into it.
3. Bring over to the dry ingredients and pour it in.
4. Add the corn, green onion, cilantro and jalapeno. Mix that all well until it comes together as a batter.
5. Let the batter rest for 15 minutes or so, until it thickens.
6. When the batter firms up, divide and form into balls and make patties, using damp hands to shape. Arrange them on a tray and place in the refrigerator until they firm up a bit more.
7. In a large skillet, heat up the oil.
8. Fry the arepas on both sides until they are nicely golden brown and crispy.
9. Remove them and drain on paper towels.
10. When they are cool enough to handle, slice them in half and sandwich them with black beans, sour cream, or cheese if you like or serve them whole.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 3570 Calories from Fat 2644
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 304 g467.4%
Saturated Fat 59 g294.8%
Trans Fat 0.8 g
Cholesterol 206.7 mg68.9%
Sodium 1139.5 mg47.5%
Total Carbohydrates 177 g58.9%
Dietary Fiber 18.2 g72.7%
Sugars 20.4 g
Protein 55 g109.8%
Vitamin A 98.1% Vitamin C 59.7%
Calcium 110.6% Iron 42.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet