|Celeriac roots||2 Medium|
|Plain flour||4 Ounce (100 Gram)|
|Egg||1 Small, lightly beaten|
|Milk||1⁄4 Pint (150 Milliliter)|
|Lemon juice||1 Teaspoon (Little Required For The Batter)|
1. Peel the celeriac and wash well.
2. Cut into quarters and then into long strips about 1 cm/1/2 inch wide.
3. Place in a pan of boiling salted water with a little lemon juice and poach for 10 minutes until partly cooked. Drain well.
4. Meanwhile, make the batter. Sieve the flour and salt and make a well in the centre
5. Add the beaten egg and the milk and whisk well, gradually incorporating the flour to make a smooth batter.
6. Beat well, then add the oil.
7. Whisk the egg white until stiff and fold gently into the batter.
8. Dip the pieces of celeriac into the batter and deep fry them a few at a time in hot fat until crisp and golden.
9. Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot, with tar-tare sauce or a good tomato relish.
Calories 235 Calories from Fat 58
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g10.1%
Saturated Fat 1.6 g7.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 43.2 mg14.4%
Sodium 348.2 mg14.5%
Total Carbohydrates 38 g12.8%
Dietary Fiber 3.4 g13.5%
Sugars 4.2 g
Protein 7 g13.8%
Vitamin A 1.5% Vitamin C 21%
Calcium 10.7% Iron 7.4%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet