Crispy Corn Fritters
|Sifted flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 , separated|
|Milk||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated corn/Quick frozen / cream style canned corn||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Fat||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Deep Frying)|
1. Set a heavy iron kettle on a warm part of the range. Fill it half full of fat. Heat slowly. When ready to fry the fritters the fat should be 365° to 370° F., or 1-inch cube of bread browns in 40 to 60 seconds.
2. Sift the flour, measure and sift again with the baking powder, salt and pepper.
3. Beat the egg yolk with the milk; mix with the corn and turn this into the dry ingredients. Mix thoroughly.
4. Beat the egg white stiff and fold in.
5. Dip a tablespoon into the fat to grease it, then carefully lower 1 spoonful of batter at a time into the hot fat. Cook the fritters until brown. Fry several at the same time, so long as they don't touch each other. Drain on thick paper towels.