Fig and Pineapple Fritters
|Canned figs||14 Ounce (400 Gram In Syrup)|
|Canned pineapple rings||8 Ounce (225 Gram, In Juice)|
|Plain flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Castor sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Plain flour||3 Ounce (75 Gram)|
|Castor sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Egg||1 Small, beaten|
|Vegetable oil||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Water||3 Fluid Ounce (75 Milliliter)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For Frying)|
|Custard powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Soft brown sugar||1 Ounce (25 Gram)|
1. Drain the syrup from the figs and the juice from the pineapple into a measuring jug and make up to 300 ml/1/2 pint, if necessary, with cold water. Reserve for the sauce.
2. Pat the figs and pineapple rings dry on absorbent paper, then set them aside on a fresh piece of absorbent paper.
3. Make the batter: sift the flour into a bowl, stir in the sugar, then add the egg and the 1/2 teaspoon oil. Gradually beat in the water.
4. Make the sauce: mix the custard powder and sugar and blend to a smooth paste with a little of the measured fruit juice. Heat the remaining juice in a small saucepan, then gradually stir into the custard powder paste. Return the mixture to the pan and bring slowly to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, stirring until thick and smooth. Cover and keep hot.
5. Pour enough vegetable oil into a deep-fat fryer to come one-third of the way up the sides of the pan. Heat the oil to 190C/375F. (If you do not have a cooking thermometer, drop 1 teaspoon batter into the oil—it should immediately rise to the surface and start to bubble.)
6. Sprinkle the fruits lightly on both sides with flour to dry them. Dip the pineapple rings, one by one, into the batter and allow any excess batter to run back into the bowl. Fry the rings in batches in the hot oil for 6-8 minutes, turning them once, until crisp and golden. Drain on absorbent paper and keep hot. Coat, fry and drain the figs in batches in the same way until golden.
7. Pile the fritters up in a warmed serving dish. Dust with caster sugar and serve at once, with the hot sauce handed separately.
Calories 920 Calories from Fat 663
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 75 g115.4%
Saturated Fat 9.9 g49.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 26.8 mg8.9%
Sodium 17.8 mg0.7%
Total Carbohydrates 58 g19.4%
Dietary Fiber 2.7 g10.9%
Sugars 22.7 g
Protein 3 g6.8%
Vitamin A 1.1% Vitamin C 7.5%
Calcium 2.6% Iron 2.5%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet