Tart Apple Fritters
|Flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Baking powder||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Milk||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Egg||1 , separated|
|Tart apples||5 , pared and cored (Such As Granny Smiths)|
|Cinnamon||1 Teaspoon (For Sprinkling Each Ring)|
|Vegetable oil/Vegetable shortening||1 Tablespoon|
|Powdered sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix in sugar. In a separate bowl, beat together the milk and egg yolk, and set aside. In another small bowl, beat the egg white until very stiff, and set aside.
2. Stir milk/yolk mixture into dry ingredients, blending well. Fold egg white into batter mixture.
3. Cut pared and cored apples into crosswise rings 1/4-inch thick each.
4. Lightly sprinkle each apple ring with cinnamon, and then dip each ring into the batter. Carefully place in deep hot oil (around 350°) and fry until light brown. Drain on several layers of paper towels.
5. Smother generously with powdered sugar and serve warm.