How to Make Apricot and Almond Nougat
|Glucose syrup||500 Gram (Honey-flavoured Glucose Syrup)|
|Caster sugar||500 Gram|
|Whole almonds||250 Gram|
|Dried apricots||150 Gram|
|Egg whites||3 Medium, beaten|
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C.
2. Prepare a wafer paper lined square sided baking tray, set aside.
3. Place the almonds on a baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes in the preheated oven.
4. Once done remove and allow it to cool, once cool place it on the chopping board along with the apricot and chop both roughly.
5. In a large saucepan combine sugar, glucose syrup and water, stir everything, and place the thermometer in the saucepan.
6. Over high heat bring the sugar mixture to a boil, occasionally stirring, reduce the heat and continue to soft boil the sugar, do not stir.
7. In the meantime, using an electric mixer, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
8. When the sugar mixture reaches 124 degrees C turn off the heat and add the egg whites, continue to whisk.
9. Add the chopped almonds and apricots and then stir until well combined. Pour the mixture in the baking tray, spread it evenly and gently press another sheet of wafer paper on top.
10. Set aside in a cool place for 4 hours to set, after 4 hours it ready to be served.
11. Serve the Apricot and Almond Nougat immediately.
• An electric mixer or whisk
Calories 663 Calories from Fat 130
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 16 g23.9%
Saturated Fat 1.2 g5.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 117.1 mg4.9%
Total Carbohydrates 130 g43.2%
Dietary Fiber 5.2 g20.7%
Sugars 90.5 g
Protein 8 g16.9%
Vitamin A 13.5% Vitamin C 0.31%
Calcium 10.5% Iron 10.6%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet