Chicken Liver Pate
|Onion||1 Medium, finely chopped|
|Garlic clove||1 Medium, minced|
|Chicken liver||500 Gram, fresh and trimmed|
|Chicken stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Rest of the ingredients for blending|
|Flaked salt||To Taste|
|White pepper||3⁄4 Teaspoon, freshly ground|
|Cognac/Grand marnier||3⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Thick cream||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For the decoration|
|Orange||1⁄2 Medium, cut into slices|
|Assorted vegetables||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), cut into small pieces (As needed) (Optional)|
|Olives||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As needed)|
|Aspic jelly/Melted butter||125 Gram, freshly made and still warm|
1. In a pan, combine butter and oil and heat until the butter melts.
2. Add the onions and sauté for a minute or so, then add the garlic and stir through.
3. Add the livers and stir for a couple minutes, then add just enough stock to cover the bottom of the pan and the base of the livers.
4. Bring to a boil then immediately lower the heat, and simmer very gently for 15-20 minutes, not allowing the stock to boil.
5. Remove from the heat, and allow to cool for 10 minutes, and then strain through a colander. Reserve the liquid if there is any left.
6. Place the liver-and-onion mixture in an electric blender. Add some of the salt, white pepper, cognac, cream and blend until you have a very smooth, homogenized mixture. Continue to add until all the cream and cognac have been used.
7. Pour the mixture into an earthenware terrine, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
8. Decorate the top of your pâté with ¼ or ½ slices of orange or other small pieces of vegetables, olives etc.
9. Pour a layer of the aspic jelly on top of the pâté. Let cool at least 4-5 hours before serving.
10. Serve cold using a pâté knife or spatula, with thin toast.
If you're freezing your pate, seal it with the melted butter instead.
Once set, either cover with cling wrap and freeze, or remove butter before serving pâté.
Calories 221 Calories from Fat 136
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15 g23.5%
Saturated Fat 6.7 g33.6%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 245.2 mg81.7%
Sodium 197.5 mg8.2%
Total Carbohydrates 7 g2.3%
Dietary Fiber 1.2 g4.9%
Sugars 2.6 g
Protein 14 g27.6%
Vitamin A 150.5% Vitamin C 31.9%
Calcium 3.6% Iron 33.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet