When one thinks of fall comfort food, one thinks of something hot, bubbling, right out of the oven, just like this escarole and leek gratin. This recipe has it all..healthy green veggies, hearty cream and gooey cheese that come together into a warm and wonderful option for a new family favorite side dish! Whether you follow Wegmans Nella Neeck's directions for prepping leeks or just use cleaned and cut bagged version, they help give this gratin a wonderful mild flavor.
30 Ounce, chopped
24 Ounce, cut in 1/2-inch slices
5 Clove (25 gm), peeled, finely chopped
1 Cup (16 tbs)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), chopped
3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)
1 1⁄4 Cup (20 tbs), grated
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs) (Italian Classics Roasted Garlic Breadcrumbs)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Blanch escarole 2 min in large pot of boiling salted water. Drain. Transfer to bowl of ice water. Drain in colander, pressing to drain off all excess moisture. Set aside.
3. Add oil and leeks to braising pan on MEDIUM. Cook, stirring, about 6 minutes, until leeks are soft but not browned. Add garlic and cook 1 1/2 minutes.
4. Add heavy cream and simmer for 4 minutes to reduce.
5. Add escarole. Stir in 1/4 cup parsley and vegetable stock. Bring to simmer.
6. Remove from heat and fold in 3/4 cup cheese. Blend well and transfer to a 3-qt casserole dish.
7. Mix remaining 1/2 cup cheese, 1/4 cup parsley, and bread crumbs in small bowl. Sprinkle over vegetable mixture before baking.
8. Bake 25 minutes, or until top is golden-brown.
9. Serve hot and bubbly, straight out of the oven.
Can be prepared a day ahead. Sprinkle topping mixture on just before baking. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and bake about 45 min.