|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Emmental cheese||200 Gram|
|Parmesan cheese||100 Gram|
|Salt & pepper||To Taste|
1. Prepare the ramekins first, brush your ramekins with butter and dust with breadcrumbs. Then cut strips of parchment paper, about 3 inches (7-8 cm) wide, wrap around the outside of the ramekins and tie with kitchen string: this collar will keep it from spilling over the sides during baking.
2. Preheat oven at 320°F (160°C)
3.Prepare the béchamel sauce: melt the butter in a small saucepan, then sift in the flour, stir to blend well, and add the milk.
4. Cook until thickened, and then add salt and nutmeg to taste; while the béchamel sauce is still hot, stir in the grated Parmesan and Emmental cheese, followed by the egg yolks and the white pepper, if you like. Allow the mixture to cool at room temperature.
5. When the mixture is ready, beat the egg whites until stiff, salt to taste if needed, and then gently fold them in.
6. Spoon the mixture into the ramekins about 2/3 full and bake in a static preheated oven for about 35 minutes
7. When the souffles are cooked, allow to rest in the oven for 2-3 minutes. serve immediately, or they will collapse.
8. Serve immediately, or they will collapse. The cheese souffle makes for a delicious appetizer and can be accompanied with a fresh salad with arugula, apples, pears, or grapes, which are classic accompaniments to cheese.
If possible, use only the bottom heating element; otherwise, place the baking sheet on the lowest oven rack.
Calories 501 Calories from Fat 300
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 34 g52.4%
Saturated Fat 20.2 g101%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 227.8 mg75.9%
Sodium 612.5 mg25.5%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g7%
Dietary Fiber 0.57 g2.3%
Sugars 3.5 g
Protein 31 g62.4%
Vitamin A 25.5% Vitamin C 0.01%
Calcium 91.2% Iron 9.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet