Banana Cream Parfaits
|Banana||1⁄2 , sliced|
|For the cream|
|Heavy cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Whole milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract/Vanilla bean||1 Teaspoon|
|For the caramel|
|Sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Heavy cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|For whipped cream|
|Heavy cream||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Powdered sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. In a saucepan, heat up milk and cream with scraped vanilla bean.
2. Add in sugar, cornstarch and egg yolks and whisk vigorously, do not scramble the yolks, whisk until the mixture bubbles and thickens, add in salt and stir.
3. Transfer the mixture, in to a bowl, allow to cool, cover with a plastic wrap straight on the mixture and refrigerate until needed.
For Caramel Sauce
4. In a saucepan with candy thermometer over low heat, put all the ingredients for the caramel sauce, allow the mixture to reach 234 F with a candy thermometer and set aside.
For the whipped cream
5. In a mixer bowl, beat together heavy cream and powdered sugar until soft peak consistency.
6. Add in the vanilla essence and beat until stiff peak.
7. In an individual parfait glass, layer cookies, sliced bananas, caramel sauce, again with banana slices and top with cream.
8. Garnish with crushed vanilla wafers if you'd like and serve as a dessert.
You could soak the vanilla wafers in any liquor of your choice for enhanced flavor.