How to Make Napoleon or Mille Feuille
|For the puff pastry|
|Puff pastry||500 Gram|
|Icing sugar||2 Tablespoon|
|For passion fruit mousseline|
|Passion fruit||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), pureed (if using other fruit juice use 1 cup of the juice and no water)|
|Water||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Unsalted butter||100 Gram, cold|
|For pastry cream|
|Whole milk||500 Gram|
|Vanilla bean||1⁄2 Medium|
|Granulated sugar||75 Gram|
|Butter||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Icing sugar||1 Tablespoon|
|Almonds||2 Tablespoon, toasted, skinless and chopped|
1. Preheat oven to 400 fahrenheit.
2. Line a tray with parchment paper.
3. Roll out the puff pastry and cut out into desired shape.
4. Place the puff pastry on the tray and poke little holes into the puff (to make them rise more) and put in the refrigerator for 15 minutes.
5. Place another parchment paper over the puff pastry and another tray to weigh it down and place in oven for 15 minutes.
6. Then, remove the other tray and parchment paper, sprinkle some icing sugar and pop back into the oven for 20 minutes until golden brown.
7. For the passion fruit mousseline: In a pan, heat the passionfruit puree and bring to simmer.
8. In a bowl, whisk the eggs with sugar until pake yellow.
9. Add cornstarch and whisk until combined.
10. Temper some of the hot passionfruit puree into the egg mix.
11. Then, pout the entire mix back into the pan on the stove on medium heat while whisking continuously.
12. Let it boil for 3 minutes.
13. Transfer into a bowl and let it cool with saran wrap over touching the puree paste so that a skin doesn't form.
14. For pastry cream: In a pan, add milk and vanilla bean and bring to boil but not over boil.
13. Turn off heat, put lid on and let it sit for 10 minutes.
14. In a bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar.
15. Next, add flour and cornstarch and whisk.
16. Bring the milk back to boil and then add a little into the egg cream and temper while whisking constantly.
17. Pour the mix back into the milk pan and whisk constantly and incorporate and let it boil for 3 minutes.
18. Transfer into an ice bath and cool.
19. In the mixer, add the passion fruit mousseline and butter, incorporating 1/2rd at a time while mixing.
20. Put the passion fruit mousselin into a pastry bag and press onto the puff pastry.
21. Add anothe puff pastry to the top.
22. Add a layer of pastry cream on this side and top with yet another puff pastry.
23. Sprinke icing sugar over the half the pastry and another dollop of passion fruit mousselin.
24. Plate and serve as dessert.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 6428 Calories from Fat 3752
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 422 g649.3%
Saturated Fat 155.9 g779.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 1643.8 mg547.9%
Sodium 1635.2 mg68.1%
Total Carbohydrates 597 g199%
Dietary Fiber 25.6 g102.6%
Sugars 264.7 g
Protein 84 g168.6%
Vitamin A 173% Vitamin C 59%
Calcium 90.2% Iron 113.7%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet