Festive French Macarons
|Powdered sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Almond flour||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Low fat egg white||6 Large (At room temperature; For the cookie and the filling)|
|Cream of tartar||1 Pinch|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Food color||1 Dash|
|Flavored extract||1 Dash|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
3. In a food processor, pulse powdered sugar and almond flour and sift the combined mixture 2 times.
4. In a seperate bowl, whip 2 room-temperature egg whites on high with a mixer until foamy
5. Next, add cream of tartar.
6. Slowly stream in superfine sugar and whip until stiff and shiny, about 2 minutes on high.
7. Gently fold in desired food coloring and/or flavor extract, sugar and flour mixture into egg white mixture. Fold the ingredients as little as possible until it is smooth, shiny and slightly runny. If it holds its form, it is under mixed.
8. Scoop into piping bag fitted with a small round tip.
9. Pipe onto a cookie sheet. When a 1” cookie has been formed, gently swirl the tip out of the mixture without forming a peak to allow the cookie to remain smooth on top. Let stand at room temperature for 30-40 minutes.
10. Bake in preheated oven for 5-10 minutes, until cookies are firm and crisp. Keep a close eye on the cookies – they should not brown on top.
11. Remove cookies from oven and cool.
12. For a basic meringue filling, place 6 egg whites and sugar in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water and Whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture reaches 160 degrees on a candy thermometer.
13. Remove from heat, whip on high speed until mixture is cool and stiff peaks form, approximately 6 minutes.
14. Beat in vanilla extract and use immediately.
15. Sandwich 2 same-size macarons with 1 teaspoon meringue, flavored buttercream or other desired filing.
15. Plate and serve as dessert or a snack.
Calories 151 Calories from Fat 27
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 3 g4.7%
Saturated Fat 0 g0%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 25 mg1%
Total Carbohydrates 28 g9.2%
Dietary Fiber 0.4 g1.6%
Sugars 26.9 g
Protein 3 g6.1%
Vitamin A Vitamin C
Calcium 0.1% Iron 0.09%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet