This simple soup is rich tasting and has a fantastic onion flavor with great texture and sweetness.
1 Bunch (100 gm)
1 Pint (organic)
3 Tablespoon (high-quality)
4 Medium, cut 1 inch thick (4 slices, toasted)
3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)
Extra virgin olive oil
1) Peel and slice the onions.
2) Grate the Gruyere cheese.
3) Preheat the broiler.
4) In a heavy bottomed pot, add the olive oil and sliced onions. Cook over a medium heat for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low, cover with tight fitting lid and cook for about 30 minutes.
5) Take off lid, cook onion to a deep rich mahogany color. Add the thyme and deglaze with sherry wine.
6) Add the beef broth, season with kosher salt and black pepper. Cover the pot and bring to a boil.
7) Ladle the soup into each oven safe serving bowl. Top with the crouton, grated Gruyere cheese and fresh thyme leaves.
8) Place under broiler for about 2 minutes or less to brown cheese slightly.
9) Serve the French Onion Soup immediately.
If you do not attain deep brown caramelized onions, DO NOT continue with the recipe or it will not be right. Continue cooking the onions until they are very dark but not burnt.