Chocolate espresso pots du creme are intensely flavored and rich with high quality chocolate and a hint of espresso. Simple to make, these desserts are a show-stopper.
8 Ounce (72% baking chocolate)
Espresso powder/Dark coffee
1⁄2 Tablespoon, finely ground (as needed)
1 Cup (16 tbs) (organic)
1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (organic)
1) Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 300°F.
2) In a small heavy saucepan, bring the heavy cream, whole milk, espresso powder (to taste) just to a boil, stirring until espresso powder is dissolved.
3) In a heat proof bowl, break up and place the chocolate, then pour the hot espresso mixture over the chocolate, whisking until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth.
4) Pour through a fine-mesh sieve into a 1-quart measure and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.
5) In another bowl, whisk the yolks and sugar together, until pale and light.
6) Then add the warm chocolate mixture in a slow stream, whisking constantly until fully incorporated.
7) Line bottom of a baking pan (large enough to hold ramekins) with a folded kitchen towel and arrange ramekins on towel. Poke several holes in a large sheet of foil with a skewer.
8) Divide chocolate mixture among ramekins, then bake in a hot water bath,(bain marie) for about 30 to 35 minutes, until pots du creme are set around edges but still slightly wobbly in centers.
9) Transfer ramekins to a rack to cool completely, uncovered, about 1 hour. Chill, covered, until cold, for at least 3 hours.
10) Top the Chocolate Espresso Pots du Crème with a dollop of thickened Greek yogurt or whipped cream and chocolate chunks to serve.