1. Pre-heat the oven to 190°C (Gas Mark 5).
2. Choose a nice large potato, such as a baking estima.
3. Wash, peel and rewash the potatoes.
4. Trim one side to make a flat surface.
5. Place the flat surface of the potato onto your board.
6. Using a 2.5-inch plain pastry cutter, put it into the potato to cut out a circle about 3cm deep.
7. Remove the circle of potato from the cutter and trim the top edge slightly to get a potato shaped like an ice hockey ‘puck’.
8. In a small pan gently melt the butter.
9. Place the potatoes into a shallow ovenproof dish and brush with melted butter.
10. Season with the sea salt and milled pepper.
11. Add enough stock to half cover the potatoes and place in the pre-heated oven.
12. Cook until most of the stock has been absorbed for about 1 hour depending on the size of the potatoes. The potatoes should be soft to touch but still holding their shape and a nice golden brown on top. An occasional basting with melted butter while cooking should ensure an even color on top of the fondant potatoes.
13. When cooked, remove the fondant potatoes from the oven.
14. Using a palette knife, carefully transfer the fondant potatoes onto warmed plates.