Creme anglais goes great with a wide range of desserts and is really easy to make.
Full fat milk
1. Separate the eggs, leaving the whites for another recipe, and leaving the yolks in a clean bowl.
2. Pour the milk into a heavy-based saucepan.
3. Cut the vanilla pod in half lengthways.
4. Scrape out the seeds and add to the milk.
5. Also add the empty pod.
6. Place the milk onto the hob and bring almost to the boil.
7. Add the sugar to the egg yolks and whisk until light in color.
8. Just before the milk comes to the boil, remove from the heat and slowly pour over the egg and sugar mixture, stirring all the time with a clean wooden spoon.
9. Return to the saucepan and put it back on the hob over a gentle heat, stirring all the time until the custard becomes thick enough to coat the back of your spoon without allowing the custard to boil.
10. Remove the creme anglais from the hob and pass through a fine strainer lined with muslin into a clean jug.
11. Serve the creme anglais warm as a custard sauce or chill until required.