This Creme Brulee is easier to make than you might think. Eggs, sugar, heavy creme and vanilla are the main ingredients. Crystallized ginger and fresh fruit can be added for a lovely presentation, along with the burnt sugar on top! (Don't forget you'll need a kitchen torch!)
1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)
2 Cup (32 tbs)
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
2. In large bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar until sugar is dissolved and mixture is pale yellow (discard whites – or use in another recipe).
3. Slowly add heavy cream and vanilla and continue to whip until mixture is pale yellow.
4. Pour mixture slowly through a sieve or skim off bubbles to eliminate foam.
5. Pour the now smooth mixture into 6 ramekin cups filling 1/2 to 3/4 full (depending on size of ramekin).
6. Place washcloth sized cloth in bottom of a 9x12 pan (so ramekins don’t slip).
7. Place ramekins into the pan, onto the cloth.
8. Fill pan with water about ½ way up the sides of the ramekins.
9. Place pan in oven and bake at 300 degrees for 40-50 minutes.
10. Crème brûlée is ready when its cooked around edges but slightly loose in the middle.
11. Let cool in water bath.
12. Remove from water bath and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.