White Swans In Love ♥ Swan Chou à La Crème (Chu Puff) 白鳥のシュークリーム
|For the custard cream|
|Corn starch||1 Pinch|
|Milk||200 Milliliter, divided (60 ml + remaining 140 ml)|
|Vanilla bean seeds||1 Pinch|
|For the p te choux|
|Unsalted butter||90 Gram|
|All purpose flour||115 Gram|
|Whole eggs||4 Large, whipped (Approx. 220 g)|
|For the topping|
|Whip cream||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs) (As needed)|
|Powdered sugar/Icing sugar||2 Teaspoon (As needed)|
1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or grease) and set aside.
To prepare the custard cream:
2. Place a fine mesh sieve over a large microwavable bowl, add corn starch, flour and sugar, sift altogether into a bowl.
3. Add milk (60 ml) into the bowl, mix it.
4. Add egg, and mix it very well.
5. Add remaining milk and mix.
6. Add Vanilla bean seeds and mix it very well.
7. Cover the bowl with a saran wrap, and microwave for 2 minutes.
8. Take it off the microwave and mix it very well. Put the saran wrap back on and microwave again for another 2 minutes.
9. Take it off the microwave, mix it very well.
10. Put the saran wrap again, and set aside at room temp.
To prepare the pâte à choux:
11. In a saucepan, add milk, water, sugar, salt and unsalted butter and cook over low heat.
12. Once the butter has completely melted, turn the heat to high until the boiling point.
13. Once done, turn off the heat.
14. Stir in the sifted flour with a wooden spoon until combined and the mixture clears the sides of the pan.
15. Transfer the dough into a separate bowl, and leave it for a few minutes until the temperature becomes approx. 60 C / 140 F.
16. Preheat the oven to 200 C / 392 F.
17. Gradually add whipped eggs, mix well and repeat using up all of the egg mixture. Mix until the texture becomes just soft enough to drop over 2 times, as shown in the video. (Do not overdo it)
18. Transfer all dough into an pastry bag; I will be using a 2 cm width round tip.
19. On the greased baking sheet (If ungreased, line with parchment paper), squeeze the dough and form a round shape of the size up to your preference.
20. You can also form the head/neck part of the swan here using a smaller round tip.
21. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes; take off the decoration parts of the swan from the oven very quickly, then lower the temp to 170 C / 338 F and bake for another 10 minutes, followed by additional 5 - 10 minutes at 160 C / 320 F.
22. Once baked, leave to cool on a rack completely.
23. Slice the top part of the round choux and then fill in the custard cream inside the choux and top with whip cream.
24. Put the head/neck part of the swan into the choux. Cut the top part into half like wings, and decorate them on top of the choux, as shown in the video.
25. Sprinkle over with icing sugar.
26. Serve as it is with a hot cup of tea.
2. Fine mesh sieve
3. Saran wrap
4. Pastry bag
5. Baking sheet
6. Parchment paper (if using ungreased baking sheet)