In this video, Betty demonstrates how to make French Hot Chocolate. This goes wonderfully well with Betty's Perfect Almond Biscotti, which you will find in bettyskitchen.
2 ½ squares unsweetened chocolate (These are 1-ounce squares.)
½ cup water
¾ cup sugar
½ pint whipping cream (1 cup)
pinch of salt
6 cups milk
additional whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa powder for topping (optional)
To prepare chocolate base, heat 2 ½ squares unsweetened chocolate and ½ cup water together and stir until blended. Add ¾ cup sugar and a pinch of salt. Boil for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Cool. When ready to serve, beat ½ pint whipping cream until stiff and fold it into chocolate syrup. Spoon 2 tablespoons chocolate mixture into each cup. Heat 6 cups milk to scalding point. Pour over chocolate in cups. When you pour the hot milk over the chocolate base, the whipped cream in the base rises to the top, making a frothy topping. You may add some additional whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa powder to enhance this beautiful drink, if you like. Cheers! --Betty
2 1⁄2 Ounce
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)
3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)
6 Cup (96 tbs)
1. In a double boiler, allow unsweetened chocolate to melt. Add water to it and stir until blended.
2. Add sugar and salt. Allow to boil for 4 minutes, stirring constantly. Once done, let it cool completely in refrigerator before further use.
3. When ready to serve, beat 1/2 pint whipping cream until stiff and fold it into chocolate syrup.
4. Spoon 2 tablespoons chocolate mixture into each cup.
5. Heat 6 cups milk to scalding point.
6. Pour over chocolate in cups.
7. Top with whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa powder to serve.
Hot beverages get revamped with this French Hot Chocolate. Try out this exotic treat this winter. This doesn't even look like a drink rather a sumptuous dessert. Have it with a biscotti for the complete experience. Take a look at the video for the exact recipe.
Betty's Elegant French Hot Chocolate ☆ Recipe Video