1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Take 5 muffins pans with 12 grooves or 10 pans with 6 grooves. Spray each pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
For The Cupcakes
3. In a bowl, make the cupcake batter according to the instructions on the box.
4. Divide the batter into 5 separate bowls (around ¾ cup of batter in each). Add ¼ teaspoon of color to each bowl to make 5 different colored batters. Mix well till evenly colored.
5. Fill all the greased muffin pans to the same level (around 1 tablespoon) with the different colored batters.
6. Bake for around 14 minutes or till the toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven. Allow it to cool for 5 minutes in the pan and transfer onto racks to and let it cool completely.
For The Frosting
7. In a large bowl, add marshmallow crème and butter. Using an electric beater mix them well on medium speed till combined. Add powdered sugar and beat till fluffy.
8. Divide the frosting into 5 separate bowls of about 1/3 cup each. Color each bowl with the same colors as cupcakes.
For Assembling Cupcake Sandwich
9. Once cooled, slice the cupcakes horizontally. Use the dome part and discard the bottom half or use it later.
10. Take a cupcake dome, spread the frosting of choice either contrast or same color. Place another cupcake dome on top to form a sandwich. Repeat with all the cupcakes.
11. In a serving plate, serve the cupcake poppers as a dessert or as a sweet snack.
For the cupcake use the other ingredients like water, vegetable oil and egg whites as per instructions on the cake mix box.
If you want to serve your kids colorful bites, try out this Colorful Cupcake Sandwich recipe. These little mini bites of crazy colorful fun are fun to make and serve. You can even involve your kids in making this and get as creative as you can.