|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Grated lemon peel||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Day old french bread slices||8 (1 inch thick)|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Tablespoon (adjust quantity as needed)|
|Ground nutmeg||To Taste|
1. In small bowl combine eggs and granulated sugar. With a rotary beater, beat the ingredients well.
2. Stir in milk, vanilla and lemon peel.
3. In shallow dish, arrange bread in single layer.
4. Pour this egg mixture over slices. Let it stand for just 30 minutes.
6. In a large skillet add butter and heat.
7. In the hot butter, saute bread for 6 minutes till golden-brown. Place pieces on serving platter.
8. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and nutmeg.
9. Serve Pain Perdu immediately with preserves or syrup.
Calories 472 Calories from Fat 106
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 12 g18.4%
Saturated Fat 6.1 g30.7%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 127.5 mg42.5%
Sodium 578.7 mg24.1%
Total Carbohydrates 77 g25.8%
Dietary Fiber 2 g8.2%
Sugars 34.1 g
Protein 14 g28.9%
Vitamin A 7.3% Vitamin C 1.6%
Calcium 11.6% Iron 18.9%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet