|Granulated sugar||1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Grated lemon peel||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Day old french bread slices||8 (1 inch thick)|
|Confectioners sugar||1 Tablespoon (adjust quantity as needed)|
|Ground nutmeg||To Taste|
1. In small bowl combine eggs and granulated sugar. With a rotary beater, beat the ingredients well.
2. Stir in milk, vanilla and lemon peel.
3. In shallow dish, arrange bread in single layer.
4. Pour this egg mixture over slices. Let it stand for just 30 minutes.
6. In a large skillet add butter and heat.
7. In the hot butter, saute bread for 6 minutes till golden-brown. Place pieces on serving platter.
8. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and nutmeg.
9. Serve Pain Perdu immediately with preserves or syrup.