How to Make A Perfect Éclair - Pâte Choux Like a Pro
|For the p te choux:|
|Butter||4 Ounce, cubed|
|All purpose flour||5 Ounce|
|Eggs||5 (3-5 eggs required depending on the dough's consistency)|
|For the egg wash:|
|For the creme l g re:|
|Vanilla bean||1⁄2 , split lengthwise and scraped|
|Sugar||2 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Heavy cream||100 Milliliter|
|For the chocolate glaze:|
|Bittersweet chocolate||60 Gram|
|Heavy cream||2 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a pan on medium heat, add the water, butter, sugar and salt and melt the butter.
3. As soon as the butter melts, turn off the heat and add in the flour and stir using a wooden spoon until it all comes together. This should take 30 seconds.
4. Once done, turn on the heat again and stir around for a couple of minutes.
5. Add the mix into a mixer and work until all the steam comes out of the dough.
6. Then, add the eggs, one at a time, into the mixer and mix well. The number of eggs is not definite and is dependent on your dough and the humidity at the place you are at. The consistency should be such that a part of the mix drips off the paddle attachment of the mixer. You can also do this process with a wooden spoon.
7. Add the mix into a pastry bag to form the eclairs.
8. On a baking tray lined with parchment paper, press the pastry bag to form elongated eclair shapes
9. Brush an egg wash(mix of 1 egg and 2 tablespoons of water) onto the eclairs.
10. Pop into the oven for 40 minutes. Once done, let the eclairs dry with the oven door open.'
11. For the creme légère: In a pan on medium heat, combine together the milk, vanilla bean and vanilla pod and bring to a boil.
12. Once it boils, turn off the heat and let it sit for 15 minutes with the lid on.
13. In a bowl, add the egg yolks and sugar and whisk to a pale yellow.
14. Next, add the flour and cornstarch and whisk to combine.
15. Strain the beans out of the milk and pour some of the mix into the egg yolks mix. Stir quickly so the eggs don't cook.
16. Pour the mix back into the milk pan on medium heat and whisk it constantly until it thickens. Once it starts to boil, continue to whisk for 3 more minutes and turn off the heat.
17. Pour the mix into another bowl to cool it in an ice bath. Place a bigger bowl of ice under this bowl and cool.
18. Once cooled, place a plastic wrap over the bowl and touch it down onto the mix so that it doesn't form a film. Place in the refrigerator.
19. Stir the mix which should have hardened from being in the refrigerator. Whip the heavy cream in a bowl until hard peaks are formed.
20. Add the whipped cream to the pastry cream and slowly incorporate everything from the bottom to the top to maintain the texture.
21. Use the tip of the pastry bag to make 2 holes at the bottom of the eclair.
22. Fill a pastry bag with the creme légère and fill in from one hole of the eclair. Fill the cream until it comes out of the other hole.
23. For the chocolate glaze: In a small bowl, add the heavy cream and the chocolate and microwave for 20 seconds. Let it sit for 5 minutes for the chocolate to melt and then stir to incorporate.
24. Add in honey and water and mix together.
25. Holding the bottom of the filled eclair, place into the bowl to coat the top with the glaze.
26. Plate and serve.