French Roast Chicken
|Chicken||4 Pound (1 whole)|
|Chicken giblets/1 chicken cube||1|
|Butter||3 1⁄2 Ounce|
|Fresh parsley sprigs||4|
|Bacon fat slices||3|
|Watercress||1 Bunch (100 gm)|
1) Thaw the chicken thoroughy If frozen.
2) Make stock with giblets, onion, seasoning and water.
3) Cook slowly for 15 minutes.
4) Inside the bird, put butter with herbs, salt and pepper.
5) Spread remaining butter over chicken, cover with fat bacon, put into roasting pan and pour half the stock over the chicken.
6) Cook in oven, basting with stock every 15 minutes and turning the bird from side to side.
7) Allow 20 minutes per pound weight.
8) For last 20 minutes remove bacon and place bird breast up to brown.
9) On a hot dish, transfer the chicken and keep hot in oven.
10) Meanwhile skim the butter from top of pan drippings.
11) Add remaining stock to roasting pan and boil until well flavoured to serve as gravy.
12) Serve chicken either hot or cold with a green salad and garnished with watercress.
13) Gravy can be served on side.