French Roast Turkey
|Turkey||9 Pound (1 Turkey, 8 To 9 Pound)|
|Ground pepper||To Taste|
|Poultry seasoning||To Taste|
|Giblets||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As Required)|
|Mixed herbs||1 Teaspoon (Leveled)|
|Flour||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Turkey liver||1 Cup (16 tbs) (As Required)|
1) Wash the turkey thoroughly and dry it.
2) Rub the turkey with cut lemon to keep flesh white.
3) Make stock with onion, herbs and giblets.
4) Put half the butter inside with 2 peeled onions and several sprigs of parsley and some seasoning, or stuff turkey with your favorite stuffing and sew in carefully.
5) Weigh turkey and calculate cooking time using chart provided.
6) Rub remaining butter all over breast and legs, season and cover with foil.
7) In a roasting pan, place the turkey and pour around 1/2 pint giblet stock.
8) Put into oven and roast for calculated time removing foil every 20 minutes and turning bird from side to side to cook legs.
8) Baste each time with stock, adding more if bird seems too dry.
9) During last half hour place bird breast up and allow to brown. It may be necessary to put oven up to 400°F Mark 6 for last 10 minutes.
10) Test to see if bird is cooked thoroughly by sticking skewer into thickest part of leg. If juice runs pink, further cooking is required; if clear, it is done.
11) In a serving dish, transfer the tureky and make gravy.
12) Skim some of butter from roasting pan and put into a small pan.
13) Fry turkey liver until tender.
14) Sprinkle in flour; then add skimmed pan drippings, plus remaining stock.
15) Bring to the boil and simmer. 16) Add seasoning to taste.
17) Serve the roasted turkey and carve while eating.
Serving size: Complete recipe
Calories 8969 Calories from Fat 4821
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 539 g829.7%
Saturated Fat 219.4 g1096.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 4787.7 mg1595.9%
Sodium 3564.1 mg148.5%
Total Carbohydrates 57 g19%
Dietary Fiber 9.1 g36.2%
Sugars 17.6 g
Protein 929 g1858.2%
Vitamin A 4059.2% Vitamin C 244.5%
Calcium 83.5% Iron 535%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet