Cooking French Food is easy with this popular cafe classic, the Croque Monsieur. Imagine the comfort of a grilled cheese sandwich with layers of melted Gruyere, shaved deli ham and more Gruyere! Top that off with a silky and heavenly Mornay sauce and even more cheese. This is simply sublime and I hope you enjoy it.
Bread slices/White bread
2 , toasted (Winnipeg-style Rye bread used)
Grated gruyere cheese
1 , sliced
For the mornay sauce
2 Cup (32 tbs)
1⁄2 Cup (8 tbs), shredded
1. Take a saucepan and melt butter in it on medium heat. When the butter melts add the flour into it and stir gently. Let it cook but do not let it change color. Cook till the raw smell disappears.
2. Pour in warm milk and whisk until you have a smooth sauce. Season with a little nutmeg powder.
3. Add some shredded Parmesan cheese and continue to whisk until its silky smooth in texture. Season it with a little salt. Mornay sauce is ready. Set this aside on low heat.
4. Take 2 toasted bread slices (white bread or any of your choice), spread a generous layer of Dijon mustard on both the slices, some shredded Gruyere cheese, a layer of shank ham and more shreds of cheese and then top with the other slice of bread.
5. Place the sandwich on a baking sheet and spoon on it some of the Mornay sauce (Bechamel sauce with shredded cheese) prepared.
6. Lastly top it with some more of the shredded Gruyere cheese and put it in the broiler until it all turns nice and golden in color.
7. Serve warm as it is or with a fried egg or poached egg.
I love the Croque Monsieur; the perfect breakfast dish. I mean, who wouldn't right? This French cafe classic dish is quite easy to make, and this video explains the recipe in simple steps. If you need ham and bread to start off your day, then you are at the right place. Watch, learn, share and enjoy!
Cooking Easy French Food - Croque Monsieur Recipe Video