French Onion Soup in the Microwave
|Onions||2 Pound (Medium-Large Sized)|
|Butter||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Canned beef broth||21 Ounce (2 Cans (10 1/2 Ounce Each)|
|Cold water||2 1⁄2 Cup (40 tbs)|
|Burgundy wine||1 Tablespoon|
|Butter/Margarine||2 Tablespoon, melted|
|French bread slices||6|
|Grated parmesan cheese||2 Tablespoon|
|Shredded gruyere cheese||6 Ounce|
1. Peel onions. Cut it into half lengthwise and slice it further. Keep it aside.
2. In a 3-qt casserole, add butter.
3. Microwave on High for 1 to 1 ½ minutes or till it melts.
4. Add onions slices and toss it well so that it coats with butter.
5. Cover and microwave on High for 6 to 10 minutes or until onion becomes tender. Remember to stir it at least twice during cooking.
6. Add beef broth, water, sugar, wine and pepper. Stir it well.
7. Cover and microwave on High for 6 to 8 minutes, or until it is done.
8. Spread melted butter on one side of each French bread.
9. Top it with Parmesan cheese and place it under broiler to toast.
10. In 6 individual serving dishes, pour soup.
11. Top it with toast and 1 oz Gruyere or Swiss cheese.
12. In the oven, place bowls in a circular pattern.
13. Microwave at High for 4 to 8 minutes, or until cheese melts.
14. Serve French Onion Soup hot.
Calories 430 Calories from Fat 205
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g35.9%
Saturated Fat 14 g69.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 66.5 mg22.2%
Sodium 767.7 mg32%
Total Carbohydrates 38 g12.7%
Dietary Fiber 3.5 g14.1%
Sugars 8.4 g
Protein 18 g36%
Vitamin A 13.1% Vitamin C 18.8%
Calcium 40.7% Iron 11.3%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet