Buche De Noel
|Eggs||5 , separated|
|Sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Ground walnuts||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All-purpose flour||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cocoa||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cream of tartar||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Powdered sugar||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Whipping cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sifted powdered sugar||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped candied cherries||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Rich chocolate frosting :|
|Butter/Margarine||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs), softened|
|Sifted powdered sugar||1 3⁄4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Hot water||1 Tablespoon|
1. Preheat the oven at 350°.
2. With vegetable oil coat a 15- x 10- x 1-inch jellyroll pan and line with waxed paper.
3. Oil the waxed paper lightly and set aside.
4. In an electric mixer beat egg yolks at high speed until thick.
5. Gradually add 1/3 cup sugar, beat well and stir in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
6. In a bowl combine walnuts, flour and cocoa and fold into yolk mixture.
7. In a bowl beat together egg whites (at room temperature), salt and cream of tartar until foamy.
8. Continue to beat adding 1/3 cup sugar gradually until peaks are stiff, but not dry.
9. Gradually fold yolk mixture into the whites and spread batter evenly in the prepared pan.
10. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
11. In a 15- x 10-inch rectangle place a towel and sift powdered sugar.
12. Once done, immediately loosen the cake from sides of pan and turn out onto sugar.
13. Peel off waxed paper.
14. Then roll up cake and towel together starting at long side.
15. Cool on a wire rack, seam side down.
16. In a bowl beat whipping cream and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla until foamy.
17. Gradually add 1/4 cup powdered sugar, beating until peaks hold their shape and fold in cherries,
18. Unroll cake, remove towel and spread over with whipped cream mixture and reroll.
19. To make the Rich Chocolate Frosting:
20. In a bowl cream butter and combine sugar and cocoa with it.
21. Continue to beat well adding butter and water gradually and alternately.
22. Add vanilla and beat until smooth.
23. On serving plate, place the cake roll seam side down and spread Rich Chocolate Frosting over top and sides.
Calories 414 Calories from Fat 198
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 23 g34.7%
Saturated Fat 10.2 g50.9%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 151 mg50.3%
Sodium 142.5 mg5.9%
Total Carbohydrates 49 g16.4%
Dietary Fiber 3.2 g13%
Sugars 39.9 g
Protein 7 g13%
Vitamin A 5.3% Vitamin C 0.22%
Calcium 4.8% Iron 10.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet